It is inevitably that time when nearly all other publications are posting their annual best of the year list. I always both love and dread this time of the year. I love that it’s a chance to reflect on the year whose end is fast approaching and reading through other lists is a good opportunity to catch up on things I’ve missed. It’s also fun to argue about where your favorite items landed on particular lists. What’s dreadful is that compiling these lists are a defacto referendum on personal taste, which is an entirely subjective criteria.
Having said that, I compiled my list of ten favorite songs and albums (the albums list is forthcoming) because it’s a requirement for a poll I vote in. My 10 favorite songs are below. Feel free to point out where I’m wrong in the comments. It’s what the comment section is provided for.
10. Kreayshawn, “Gucci Gucci” (self-released)
9. Wiz Khalifa, “Black and Yellow” (Atlantic)
8. Kelly Rowland feat. Lil Wayne, “Motivation” (Univeral Motown)
7. Charli XCX, “Nuclear Seasons” (This is Music)
6. Das Racist, “Michael Jackson” (Greedhead)
5. Ke$ha feat. Andre 3000, “Sleazy” Remix (RCA)
4. M83, “Midnight City” (Mute)
3. Foster the People, “Pumped Up Kicks” (Columbia)
2. Nicola Roberts, “Beat of My Drum” (Polydor)
1. Azealia Banks, “212″ (self-released)
Chris Burlingame is the editor of Another Rainy Saturday.